Heads up guys- Mother's Day is just around the corner, and that can mean only one thing. It's time to buy a gift for that special mum in your life. And let's move away from the flowers, shall we? In today's post we're looking at top tips for gift buying before baby arrives, and the essential items it just makes sense to grab now. Let us know in the comments what you think, and get in touch over on Facebook and Instagram too- we love hearing from you!
Do I really need to buy a gift before the baby arrives?
Of course, this is entirely up to you... but ask any mum-to-be and they will tell you that they became a mother the moment they saw that blue line on the tester stick. Yes, Mother's Day is a day intended to celebrate mums and to give thanks for all the sacrifices they give and the love they bestow... but that truly begins way before birth. So if you're wanting to buy a gift but you're wondering whether or not it's a 'silly' idea, rest assured we think its an amazing thing to do.
Being pregnant is hard work, and it can be an emotional rollercoaster too. Nine months is a really long time, and if there are still weeks (or months!) between now and the due date it can't hurt to let that special mum-to-be know that you're thinking of her on Mother's Day.
Top gift ideas
Only you know your gift recipient and therefore only you will know what is likely to put a smile on her face. It could be an afternoon tea with just the two of you for the last time, or it could be something really practical for when the baby arrives. Here are our top gift ideas for the latter:
- A Cuddledry handsfree towel. Of course, it had to be top of the list, so allow us to tell you why. Baby bathtime is the one inevitable activity that you will be performing as a new parent, and one that routinely instills a sense of fear into many. The combination of water and the most precious, slippery, fragile little person is enough to send anxiety levels through the roof. But it doesn't need to be that way. Being prepared is key, and getting to grips with bathtime now can make all the difference. The handsfree towel gives back control at bathtime, ensuring it's a happy and calm activity to end the day- especially when baby is so tiny. This is one gift that will last for months- thanks to its superior size- and will boost confidence and bonding opportunities beyond measure. Believe us when we tell you that parent after parent recommend us time and again for very good reason. Having two hands at bathtime is essential and now your mum-to-be can do that without fuss night after night.
- A Baby & Me bundle. The brand new Baby & Me washbag is revolutionary thanks to its innovative design, and perfect for not only the much-anitcipated hospital bag, but for trips away with baby. Each bag is double sided with two colour coded compartments to keep baby's toiletries separate from mum's, and wipe clean too. Each compartment features a wet and dry section and there are two refillable BPA free 100ml bottles included too. Our bundles combine the amazing practicality of the Baby & Me washbag with classic favourites from our accessories range, and if you go for the Ultimate Bundle we include a grey stars handsfree towel for the ultimate in baby bathtime experiences wherever you are. For a limited time, use code MUMB for 15% off all Baby & Me bundles, and code MUM for 20% off the Baby & Me washbag when bought by itself. Offer ends midnight 26th March, so hurry!
- A pregnancy and baby journal. These really are precious days, and in this age of modern technology, apps and social media there is still something quite romantic and possibly therapeutic about using a pen and paper to document experiences. Pregnancy and baby journals are such a lovely way to record the memories and milestones, and a unique gift for mums-to-be that they can eventally share with baby in years to come. Such a lovely, simple gift idea.
- Self care hamper packs. Ok, so self care has become something of a 'buzz word' lately, but we think that's for very good reason! Its so easy to get caught up in the busy-ness of life, and when you're making and carrying a new human it's so important to slow things down a little. Encourage that special mum-to-be to take some time out for herself and hopefully start new habits that last well beyond Mother's Day. We love the Mummy Positive Wellbeing gifts from Apples & Pips- the self care hamper makes a perfect gift.
- Clothes for her. Ok, so this one is a little tricky seeing as your mum-to-be is likely to be changing shape at possibly an alarming rate right now, but clothes for after the baby arrives can be an amazing gift for the shopper who dares to think beyond the pregnancy bubble a little. Our top picks, if you choose to go down this route, include the fabulous 'Rocking the Mama Life' tee from Ada + Alfred, and the iconic 'Mother' jumper from Selfish Mother.
- Clothes for baby. Any mum-to-be worth her salt will go weak at the knees with a tiny baby sleepsuit or two on Mother's Day, so you really can't go wrong with this one. Our favourites include the stunning Didi +Bud, creators of ethical pyjamas that are 100% British made, the amazing Ted Wears Organic- Cuddledry brand rep and home to practical, organic playwear (we LOVE the Little Eco Warrior t-shirt!)- and the ever popular and super ethical Frugi.
Make the day special
When it comes down to it, the special days we mark off on the calendar are really only special if we spend them with the people we love. So this year, make Mother's Day all about that special mum or mum-to-be and try not to sweat it when it comes to gift buying. I mean, you have the ultimate guide in this post (all of these gifts are just perfect for every mum, no matter how many children she already has, or when her due date is!) and now all you need to do is dedicate some time towards making her feel like a princess. Good luck!